Friday, January 4, 2008

Support for troops




One thing you all should know is that whenever I go anywhere in uniform people always thank me for my service to our country. In spite of all the negative talk in the news about the conflicts we are engaged in people still are positive to those of us who are in the military. Old veterans thank me. Anytime I use my military ID the clerks will make a positive comment. Sometimes even a twenty-something will show a little gratitude. I can't remember ever having anyone do or say anything but kind words to me -- and it seems lots of people make it a point to go out of their way and say thanks. Here in Clarksville, TN the local businesses frequently put signs up supporting the troops and there always seems to be a military discount available -- even Dairy queen. And it's not just gratitude here but everywhere I've been the last few years. Who knows what politicians' political agendas are -- but it is nice to know that our country is full of the kind of people who individually show their support for the troops regardless of their feelings about the conflict.

As for me, it is hard to leave the family but in many ways I'm glad to have the opportunity to serve. I signed up for the Army a long time ago and I committed to serve. It has been nearly four years since I was in Iraq and I've watched friends and family go to Iraq and back while I've stayed at home. It's my turn to go. This time I'll be going with a unit that is MY unit. I know the soldiers and I look forward to taking care of them. For the first time in my army career I really feel like I'm connected with the soldiers and my clinic visits aren't just simple appointments. I've only been in the brigade for a few months and I'm getting to know the soldiers personally. Appointments don't happen in the clinic at scheduled times but I just take care of whatever needs doing when the issue arises. I get to plan for the unit as a group in regards to prevention of problems. Overall, it feels good to be going with them and taking care of them. What a great job I've got. I suspect when this deployment is all over I will soon forget what a pain it was to go but I'll always remember what an honor it was to take care of the troops.

No comments:

Look Who has been visiting...

Contributors