Tuesday, August 18, 2009

the Cedars of Lebanon


I always thought cedars were small, scrubby little trees. I know the wood smells great but the bark seems like it's 50 percent dirt. The'yve always just been the scrawy, twiggy short trees. I've never really been impressed -- until now.
When we were up in Glacier we camped next to "Cedar Loop". It was a beautiful stroll for the family through cedars like I've never seen before. It was a walk through a forest of tall, beautiful and majestic cedars. I felt a bit like I did walking through the redwoods at Muir woods. albeit on a smaller scale. This is a little family pic of us all tucked inside one of the smaller ones.
Finally now the "Cedars of Lebanon" makes sense. I remember wondering why Solomon would want to use Cedars to build his temple. What good would the scrawny trees from Arizona be when building a temple? I suspect the cedars of Lebanon must have been more like the cedars we saw a Glacier. I suppose the men who brought them had the woodworking skills to shape them and create the pillars needed to make a beautiful temple.

No comments:

Look Who has been visiting...

Contributors