Wednesday, May 7, 2008

new photos!

These are a few more pictures from the Egyptian Hospital. Every time I go there it is a completely fascinating, terrible, funny, sad, frustrating and yet fulfilling experience. The mothers all wear burka's and rarely will lift one up to talk to me (not that I can understand very much). It's odd as can be to talk to somebody who is all covered up even if there is a little grill to look through. The children are sometimes afraid of me and at other times are fascinated -- but for the most part they are just like kids back home. They smile and grin. They cry and are afraid when I try to examine them. I am always dying to take pictures but as soon as I pull out the camera the scene always changes. The girl in the middle has scars from a disease called leishmaniasis. It's often called the most neglected disease in the world. 22% of Afghani's have scars from the disease. She had the misfortune of having three lesions and thus three scars on her face. The last picture is just of the outside of the peds clinic on a male day when the crowd is really small.Usually it's tough to even get to the door.

No comments:

Look Who has been visiting...

Contributors