Sunday, April 13, 2008

Smoothies

I don't have a picture for this one...but just a ramble. My job is different every day. I get called and asked questions or get tasks I would have never imagined could ever come up. Sometimes it's tedious. Sometimes it's cool. Sometimes it's just plain good.

The other day I was just tracking a Soldier who had been injured. He was on his way home. He had already had surgery and was recovering. He was just here waiting for a flight to get back home. I checked in on him to see if we could do anything to help him out. I did the usual stuff, checking over his medical management (and finding as always that he was getting great care), reminding the nurses to get him a DVD player to pass the time and just talking with him. Because he had oral surgery I thought I'd get him an upgrade from hospital jello and find him a smoothie. We actually have a dairy queen just down the road so I got him a smoothie. Then I looked around the room and realized that there were other Soldiers there who would probably want one too. So I got smoothies. I got smoothies and sat around and talked with these young men who are out here doing one of the toughest jobs around. Four young men, smiling, joking and sipping -- in spite of all manner of bruises, swelling, pain, sutures and fixation devices. They were a really banged up bunch but their spirits were up.

This is good duty.

1 comment:

B said...

That's awesome dude! Another day in the life of a super hero! Way to brighten up the world!

Look Who has been visiting...

Contributors