Monday, April 21, 2008

Little Bear FARMING!

It has warmed up here for a while so we decided to start planting. Little bear tells me the soil here is TERRIBLE! He got some tomato seeds and planted them -- some in a little spot of good soil that came in a package from home and then he planted some in the best soil we could find. Well...what can I say? The pictures tell it all. The Afghani soil tomato is tiny compared to the one in good soil.

We hunted around for a long time to get some kind of pot to plant the good tomato starts in -- and we finally got some big plastic jugs from the chow hall. I think they held cooking oil before. Now they are planters. The medics say that coffee grounds make the soil better for growing so we add coffee grounds every morning -- I say ANYTHING would improve the soil here!

3 comments:

Julie Barfuss said...

Those look like....tomato plants?? fun!

A said...

I was thinking something else, sweet rake

Craig said...

The rake is cool. I would have never thought coffee grounds would be good for plants...but the soil here is solid clay and I think ANYTHING improves it! We use that little rake every day to churn up the coffee and clay. Bummer is that ever since we transplanted these tomatoes they are hardly growing...

Look Who has been visiting...

Contributors